Saturday, November 05, 2011

Stereotypes are Incomplete Stories

Link TV has recently started showing TED Talks. I re-watched the TED talk by Chimamanda Adichie and remembered I had posted it on my blog at one time. Ends up, I posted it almost exactly two years ago. Her talk is important enough to look at and reflect on over and over again. Watching it the second time causes new reflections but I'll just go with I first wrote and let you think about it the way you want. Here is the original post from 11/1/09...


I often wonder why terrorists who fly planes through the Twin Towers cause us to hate and become skeptical of Muslims, but why two White men in the Oklahoma City bombing become two anti-government individuals that have never defined White America.

Listen to Chimamanda Adichie(below) as she describes what hearing a "single story" affected the way she saw her own life...and then her realization of how she looked at others.

No comments: